Sewing/Relaxed roman shade valance

QUESTION: Hi there,
I'm making relaxed roman shade valances. They'll be stationary. Should I use tape or rings for the section that needs to be drawn up? How do I space the rings from the side hems? Also what can I do to keep the center from "caving" in.

ANSWER: Good morning

I hope I can answer your question

A relaxed roman shade valance is not a working shade and it does not even have to have rings on the back.

There are several ways to make this, so the center does not cave in.

What size is this going to be?
Is it being mounted on a board?
Inside or outside mount?

Also if you can upload a photo of what you are referring to, I will know we are talking about the same thing.

Thanks so much
Karen Erickson

QUESTION: The ones I'm making are going to be about 43 inches wide and have a finished length of 20 inches in the center, will be mounted on a board, and have an outside mount.
This is what I'd like to do...

Without seeing the back I would say the edges of the relaxed roman has rings on the back side that are clipped together with a split ring in the back to keep the pleats in.

If the shade were working, you would be having it go up and down, we would recommend that you have 4 rows of rings on the back to pull up and down. If you do not want the shade to droop in the center I would also use 4 rows of rings on the back and clip them up with the split rings.

I hope that makes sense and that I have helped.

Karen Erickson

Karen Erickson

All about home decor sewing, with many tips and trick on how to make a finished project look like a professional was hired to sew them. Specialize in "home decor" sewing. From how to measure, to how to cut and sew. Slipcovers, deocrative pillows, bedding, table accessories, drapery toppers, top treatments and more... Please do not ask me questions about clothing or trouble shooting sewing machines. I appreciate if you ask about home decor sewing.

Started sewing at the young age of 10 years. In 1986 opened up my own Designer Sewing Workroom, in 1998 started teaching workshops and classes to others in my Industry. In 1998 established Slipcover America Inc, produced 3 DVDs and 3 CDS. I have traveled to the American Sewing Guild Conferences and various Sewing Expos in both the US and Canada, as a speaker, teaching and instructor. Also was on staff at the CHF Drapery School in North Carolina as the Slipcover Instructor. Continue to speak at special engagements at Fabric and Sewing stores throughout the country. In 2006 established Sonoran Sewing, in 2008 with an associate Claudia Buchanan in Arizona where we do specialized in "home decor" sewing workshops and retreats throughout the year.

Slipcover Network Drapery Pro Workroom Association of America Window Coverings Association of America American Sewing Guild

Sew What Magazine (trade) Window Coverings Magazine (trade) Sew News Magazine Drapery and Window Coverings Mary Engelbreit Home Companion Magazine St Louis Home and Garden

College degree in Photo Journalism, Chaffey Community College in Cucamong, CA. Years of continual education through conference and workshops dealing with the sewing industry.