Sewing/Singer 7467S (confidence stylist) timing question

Question
Hi Norman,

I read the response you gave to the question "singer stylist 466 bobbin thread won't pull up" on 3/16/11, and would like to try to adjust the timing on my machine.  I have had it only one day and had a thread jam going over a thick seam, at which point the bobbin thread stopped coming up.

My husband is an engineer and we think we could manage to fix it (I really don't want to ship it out for repair!) but we can't get the darn thing open!  Are there service instructions for this machine, or can you tell us how to access the bottom of the machine?

Any advice on the timing adjustment would also be appreciated!

Thanks!
christina

Answer
The singer 466 has a timing belt. To remove the bottom cover you will have to remove the screws on all 4 corners and the screw in the middle of the cover...There are 2 pulley wheels...the one on the right side (OR back side) is the timing wheel..it has 2 screws the other only one or a cotter pin. On the needle bar there are 2 small ring marks...you must turn the hand wheel to lower the needle bar and bring it back up to where it meets the metal where it goes through and stop on the bottom one...now check where the needle is in relation to the hook that catches the thread...it is called a race hook...if the hook is just above the needle eye hole then it is properly timed...if not the you will have to loosen the screws on the timing wheel and move the race hook with your fingers until it  is just above the needle eye and tighten one screw to check it and if it is good tighten the other screw  also...

also get some grey #400 sand paper from your local hardware store and sand the race hook to make sure there are no slivers of metal to grab the thread and cause problems...and change the needle...

Hope this gets you going...

Norm

Sewing

Norman Roy