Sewing/Trouble shooting older sewing machine

Question
I recently inherited my Grandma's older sewing machine. It is a Dial N Sew, model no. 316. There's no manual and I'm having trouble finding any information about it. My mother in law looked at it and we got it threaded (with new thread and needles), I believe correctly, but it will go about 10-15 stitches and the upper thread breaks. We tried different threads and needles, but it continues to happen. Any idea what could be causing this?
Thank you so much,
Jenna

Answer
Hi Jenna...sorry it took so long answering , I work 12 hr shifts and don't always get a chance to check my mail...This sounds like slivers on the hook and needle plate...Go to your nearest hardware store and buy some grey # 400 sand paper...sand the needle plate around and in the hole...next remove the bottom hook that catches the thread making sure you can see how it goes back in...sand the tip lightly and run you fingers all around to feel for other sliver or rough spot anywhere on the hook casing and sand if it needs it.

Keep it simple is your best policy when looking for a problem...happy sewing.

Normand

Sewing

Norman Roy