Sewing/box pleated draperies full length

QUESTION: Dear Karen,
I am making full length box pleated drapes,I am stuck on the header measurements . I don't know weather the return should end with a pleat on the corner like a valance or should have a space , then the return amount. I also struggle with trying to hide the seam and getting my measurements equal and ending on a space

ANSWER: Thanks for asking

Usually one will put a pleat at the corner of the return and then have the return go back towards the wall to finish.

Does that make sense?

Did you join two full widths of fabric and are working in this manner to hide the seam?

Karen Erickson

QUESTION: Dear Karen Thank you ,Yes this answers my question . I have another one . I have joined two fabric widths, so in order to hide the seam my sides become lopsided , so to make the spaces equal i have to make some pleats deeper than others to get the right spacing and have a return and an overlap on the ends . will this be ok to do.
thank you PS i am using a 4in space and 6 to 7 in pleats is this a proper amount ?
thank you so much Cheryl

Sorry for the delay I have been away.

Not sure what you mean by sides being lopsided.

5 inches between pleats is the norm but you can do whatever you'd like to do.

You have said these are box pleated, so they are not opening and closing, right?  They are stationary?

If so make your return and side hem.  Cut off any extra fabric you don't need.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Karen Erickson

do feel free to write me at my email address and send photos.  

Karen Erickson

All about home decor sewing, with many tips and trick on how to make a finished project look like a professional was hired to sew them. Specialize in "home decor" sewing. From how to measure, to how to cut and sew. Slipcovers, deocrative pillows, bedding, table accessories, drapery toppers, top treatments and more... Please do not ask me questions about clothing or trouble shooting sewing machines. I appreciate if you ask about home decor sewing.

Started sewing at the young age of 10 years. In 1986 opened up my own Designer Sewing Workroom, in 1998 started teaching workshops and classes to others in my Industry. In 1998 established Slipcover America Inc, produced 3 DVDs and 3 CDS. I have traveled to the American Sewing Guild Conferences and various Sewing Expos in both the US and Canada, as a speaker, teaching and instructor. Also was on staff at the CHF Drapery School in North Carolina as the Slipcover Instructor. Continue to speak at special engagements at Fabric and Sewing stores throughout the country. In 2006 established Sonoran Sewing, in 2008 with an associate Claudia Buchanan in Arizona where we do specialized in "home decor" sewing workshops and retreats throughout the year.

Slipcover Network Drapery Pro Workroom Association of America Window Coverings Association of America American Sewing Guild

Sew What Magazine (trade) Window Coverings Magazine (trade) Sew News Magazine Drapery and Window Coverings Mary Engelbreit Home Companion Magazine St Louis Home and Garden

College degree in Photo Journalism, Chaffey Community College in Cucamong, CA. Years of continual education through conference and workshops dealing with the sewing industry.