Sewing/men's collars

Question
How can I make a man's size 16 shirt with a more comfortable size 18 shirt?  NZ sizes are probably different, but I'm sure
you understand the problem. BTW, my father spent some time in NZ during WWII. He raved about the snow on the mountain and the roses at his feet.

Answer
Hi Pete, Sorry for the delay in answering - we had a glitch in our internet supply whilst changing plans, and only just got back online!

I assume what you mean in your question is that you want to make a size 16 men's shirt with a size 18 collar?  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a pretty simple task.  You need to cut the neckline very slightly larger to accommodate a larger collar.  When you cut the shirt pieces out, cut them as normal, then when you have joined the pieces at the shoulder, trim about 1/4" off the neckline.  When you cut the collar pieces, add the extra 2" at the centre back by either cutting the pattern pieces in half at the centre back line and spacing them 2" apart or if you are cutting the pieces on the fold, place the piece 1" from the fold rather than on it.

It is best if you test the technique on some scrap fabric to make sure the fit is what you want.

If you need any further explanation, please feel free to ask!

Hope this helps :)

Oh yes, and your Dad was right about the beauty of New Zealand - it really is spectacular. My city (Christchurch) is still pretty broken from the Feb 2011 quake, but we are recovering and slowly regaining the beauty we had

Sewing

Jenna McAuliffe