When you make napkins and tablecloth, do you always make them to match?? Would it look OK if the napkins were totally different in colour ?? Thank you B.

Hi Bea,

I think that this is a matter of personal choice! If you want to match your napkins to your tablecloth, then you can do so using the exact same fabric for both, or you could use two different fabrics with matching colours.

Of course, you don't even have to match the napkins to the tablecloth at all. Complementary colours are colours that do not match, but that blend well with each other, such as blue and green, or light grey and charcoal, if you prefer a more subtle pairing.

If your tablecloth is multi-coloured, then you could make napkins in a fabric that matches one of the colours. Or if your tablecloth is patterned fabric, then you could make napkins using a solid colour in the same colour family as the tablecloth (or vice versa!).

Ultimately, it's up to you. You could make a set of napkins that match your tablecloth perfectly, and then make another set of napkins that contrast with the tablecloth. That way, you could play around with both sets, even combining the two for a creative, eclectic look!

Best of luck!

Amie Scott

I can answer many questions related to craft sewing, fashion design, pattern drafting, clothing alterations, clothing repair, and simple home decor sewing projects. I can not answer question about machine repair/maintenance, quilting, knitting, embroidery or needlepoint.

I have been designing and sewing clothing and accessories professionally since 2003. I have two years of experience teaching basic machine sewing classes for adults. I have experience altering clothing and drafting sewing patterns for women's wear. Currently I own a retail shop with a sewing studio, where I design and produce my line of women's wear, and also offer custom sewing to clients.

Although I'm mostly self taught, I have taken some advanced online pattern drafting and clothing alterations classes. Of course, nothing beats actual hands on work, and I have over ten years of experience in professional sewing and fashion design.