Sewing/zippers in the laundry

Question
I have a front loading washing machine and dryer.
Almost everytime I wash something like a zippered jacket or zippered hood, the zipper breaks, the pull tab breaks off unrepairable.
I've tried zipping it up before washing and zipping it up and turning it in-side-out, but they still break.
I usually find the pull tab in the dryer, but I have also found them in the washer.
Is there a way or trick to washing zippered items?
Thank you,
Randy

Answer
Hi Randy,

I know that front loading washing machines can operate at a high speed, as can certain industrial strength dryers, which might loosen a delicate zipper. You could try to wash your zippered clothing in a lingerie bag, which would restrict movement within the machines.

The problem might also lie with the zipper itself. If the zipper is poor quality, which is common in commercially manufactured clothing, then you might be better off replacing it with a better quality zip.

And lastly, I would also suggest checking your machines for metal burrs, loose screws or other sharp edges that might catch a zipper head.

Best of luck!
Amie  

Sewing

Amie Scott