Sewing/tension, control settings

Question
I have a Singer 758 (given to my by my aunt.  i have been sewing since i was 10 years old, and just recently started back after 30 years.  I'm not sure what settings I should have the thread tension, stitch width and stitch control on.  Because when I try to sew the thread bunches up on the bottom of the cloth and.  What am I doing wrong?

Answer
When the thread bunches up on the bottom, it means there is something wrong with the top tension. When you thread the machine make sure the presser foot is in the up position, this releases tension disc so the thread can go between them and work properly. your tension should be set around 3 or 4 could be more depending on how thick the material your sewing with, start there and adjust as needed. you might want to run a damp cloth between the tension disc before threading it, this removes any oil that transfers from your hands over the years. The oil makes the thread too slippery and you cannot set the tension...

Hope this works for you...

Norman

Sewing

Norman Roy