Sewing/even feed ft on Singer Slant-o-Matic

I am trying to use an even feed foot on my mothers 403 Singer slant --I bought the even feed so I could machine quilt.  I have put the needle position to left or needle wouldn't even work but still bunches up and doesn't feed through.  How do I need to set machine or what am I doing wrong?  Thank you for your help

I would have to know if the even feed is made for your machine, there are high and low even feeds if it is too high the tension discs will not close properly and you will not have tension and the thread will bunch up under...just because the sales person said it was made for it does not mean it was...they want to make their money and then order one for you if they have to...been there also...check you top tension by pulling on the thread when the foot is down...that should tell you something...if it comes through easy it is the wrong foot or your thread is not inside the discs.

Norman Roy

Depending on the mechanical knowledge off owner, I can answer just about any question they ask. One lady asked about her feed dogs not going back up, some machines will not go back up unless you turn the wheel over, (start sewing). It sounds simple but sometimes you never think of it.

I've been servicing sewing machines since 1989, I still service machines for Northwestern Ontario Canada. It is a large area with little or no service people and I can usually tell on the phone if it can be fixed by the owner.

I took a 2 year apprentice course with a dealer who was looking to teach and hire. I worked for him for 8 years before moving up to the Northwest, Red Lake area of Ontario.