Sewing/Quilted fabric

Question
Hello
There is quilted fabric that you can buy, would this be good for making oven mitts with, for it would be the main colour of the mitt?? Is  the quilted fabric made with polyester batting??
Thank you Beaa

Answer
Hi Beaa,

While you can definitely purchase quilted fabric in most fabric supply stores, I'm not sure if it's specifically meant to be used for heat resistant projects like oven mitts. The batting is usually polyester, but I imagine that the outer fabric might not always have the same fiber content, depending on the manufacturer. Some would be cotton, some would be polyester, some would be a blend. And I've only seen a few colour options for the pre-quilted fabric, none of which were interesting enough for a fun oven mitt project!

You might be better off just making the quilting yourself. It's not difficult, and you'd be able to choose fabric that is not only oven-friendly, but that is also a colour and print that you enjoy!

Happy sewing!

Amie

Sewing

Amie Scott