Sewing/Shirt making

Question
Hi,  What I wish to know is, how much cloth (mtrs) is needed to make an adult male's shirt.  I realise it will depend on the person's size, so the size I'm interested in is L or XL (Aust). I am impossible to fit off the rack, so I intend to buy cloth and go to a tailor, or to learn how to make shirts myself (should be fun...ha ha.)  Thank you. With best wishes, Alex S.

Answer
Hi Alex,

Assuming you're after a reasonably standard long-sleeved shirt,you'll need approximately 2.5m (if the fabric you choose is 115-120cm wide) or 2.0m (if the fabric is 150cm wide).  

If you decide to try making them yourself, most of the major pattern brands (Vogue, Simplicity) have men's shirt patterns available.  They generally have pretty simple to follow instructions, so you could buy a cheap fabric and give it a go before you go to a tailor - the achievement of being able to make them for yourself would feel great!

Anyway, hope this helps and happy sewing!

Jenna

Sewing

Jenna McAuliffe