Sewing/half inch seam.

The seam allowance is 1/2" , ,where do I sew the piping? Thank you B

Hi again Beaa!

If the seam is 1/2", place the piping so that the stitching line of the piping is at the 1/2" point on the seam.  If you are making your own piping rather than using prepared piping, stitch the cord into the piping to prep it for use, and this stitching line is the one to place at the 1/2" point.

In case it helps, it is easier to place the piping on one piece of the fabric (right side) and stitch it in place, then lay that piece wrong side up on top of the other piece which will be the seam and use your previous stitching line as a guide to stitch over top of.

I hope this is a clear enough explanation!  Please let me know if I need to clarify further... and again, happy sewing :)

Jenna McAuliffe

I can answer most questions about sewing, altering or repairing clothes or home furnishings, drapes, roman blinds, crafts, pattern alteration... the list goes on!

My mother started me sewing when I was 4 and Iíve never stopped! I trained as a fashion designer 15 years ago and have been specializing in weddings since then, along with a side business in making drapes, blinds and home furnishings for commercial contracts. I also participate in just about every kind of craft I can find.

Education/Credentials and a whole lifetime of figuring it out!

First in class at graduation, first in tailoring. Finalist in NZ Smokefree awards 1998