Sewing/how to say it

When you make something at home and then advertise to sell it. Do you say it's homemade or handmade? Thank  you B

Hi Beaa,

The wording you use is completely up to you and really depends on the way you want your customers to see your product.

Personally (and that means in my opinion alone, not speaking for others), I think some customers may see the word "homemade" as meaning less professional, therefore lower quality (and possibly lower cost), where using "handmade" suggests more care, personal attention, artisan quality

Have a think about your prospective customers and how you feel they will view your products, then choose the term you feel fits best.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your endeavours!

Jenna McAuliffe

I can answer most questions about sewing, altering or repairing clothes or home furnishings, drapes, roman blinds, crafts, pattern alteration... the list goes on!

My mother started me sewing when I was 4 and Iíve never stopped! I trained as a fashion designer 15 years ago and have been specializing in weddings since then, along with a side business in making drapes, blinds and home furnishings for commercial contracts. I also participate in just about every kind of craft I can find.

Education/Credentials and a whole lifetime of figuring it out!

First in class at graduation, first in tailoring. Finalist in NZ Smokefree awards 1998