Sewing/How do you increase bustline of a jacket

Question
I need to take two jackets to make into one larger size jacket.  The problem is the bust line.  I need to add about 5 inches to the bust line to make this jacket fit/close.    Where do I start.  It is a simply made jacket with a center back, side front and side back.  Can you help me take on this challenge?

Answer
Hi Hilda,

You have two options for this project, depending on your sewing/pattern drafting skills.

If you're very comfortable taking the jacket apart, then you could try to add a full bust adjustment to the front bodice pieces. There are many video tutorials online for you to consult, and there might even be one for adding a FBA to a jacket.

Otherwise, you could simply add two panels to the centre front of your jacket and attach your closure to those panels. It wouldn't be as shapely, but you could probably adjust the panels to taper around the bust.

Happy Sewing!

Amie  

Sewing

Amie Scott