Sewing/Singer Style O Matic 328

I bought a singer sewing machine from a garage sale and I guess it's missing the spool pin.  I stuck a screwdriver through the thread and into the machine, but it didn't work. lol I am totally new to sewing. Is their something I can do to improvise or does it have to be totally replaced.  Is their another way to wind the bobbin?

Hi Kellie,

I would look online for a replacement spool pin. Sewing machines always have bits and pieces that need replacing, and I imagine that you can find pretty much any part that you're missing. Ebay is a good place to start, and if you have a Singer centre near you (look online for one in your area), they could probably order one in for you.

You should also think about bringing your machine to a service person so that they can give it a tune up. Since you purchased the machine at a garage sale, it's likely that the seller wasn't using it regularly, and the machine probably needs to be fixed up a bit so that it runs smoothly. A service person can also tell you if there are any other parts that need to be replaced or adjusted.

Happy Sewing!

Amie Scott

I can answer many questions related to craft sewing, fashion design, pattern drafting, clothing alterations, clothing repair, and simple home decor sewing projects. I can not answer question about machine repair/maintenance, quilting, knitting, embroidery or needlepoint.

I have been designing and sewing clothing and accessories professionally since 2003. I have two years of experience teaching basic machine sewing classes for adults. I have experience altering clothing and drafting sewing patterns for women's wear. Currently I own a retail shop with a sewing studio, where I design and produce my line of women's wear, and also offer custom sewing to clients.

Although I'm mostly self taught, I have taken some advanced online pattern drafting and clothing alterations classes. Of course, nothing beats actual hands on work, and I have over ten years of experience in professional sewing and fashion design.