Sewing/about size

My name is sumit. My questions is about size and stitching.

I usually buy medium size clothes (between size 36 - 38).
I want to get a blazer stitched.
So, approximately how much material (size in metres) do i need for my size.

Hello Sumit,

There are several more factors that you need to consider when deciding how much fabric to buy! Fabrics are created in different widths, so the amount of fabric you buy will be affected by the fabric's width, by whether or not you want the blazer lined, by the style of the blazer, and by your height. Are you following a printed sewing pattern? Patterns usually include fabric length requirements, as well as pattern piece layout, and appropriate fabrics for the project.

Without knowing any of these measurements, I would guess that as long as the fabric width is somewhere between 48-60", you want 2-2.5 metres of outer fabric (woven, medium weight, like twill, tweed, denim), and another 2-2.5 metres of lining (woven, lightweight, like silk or satin). You will also need interfacing for the collar and centre front pieces, as well as whatever notions (buttons, piping, etc) you would enjoy!

Happy Sewing!

Amie Scott

I can answer many questions related to craft sewing, fashion design, pattern drafting, clothing alterations, clothing repair, and simple home decor sewing projects. I can not answer question about machine repair/maintenance, quilting, knitting, embroidery or needlepoint.

I have been designing and sewing clothing and accessories professionally since 2003. I have two years of experience teaching basic machine sewing classes for adults. I have experience altering clothing and drafting sewing patterns for women's wear. Currently I own a retail shop with a sewing studio, where I design and produce my line of women's wear, and also offer custom sewing to clients.

Although I'm mostly self taught, I have taken some advanced online pattern drafting and clothing alterations classes. Of course, nothing beats actual hands on work, and I have over ten years of experience in professional sewing and fashion design.