Sex Advice/Oral Sex/Male Reproduction

I hope that you can answer my question regarding male reproduction.

If I'm not mistaken, the testicles make and store sperm.  Where does the semen come from, that is, where is it made and stored?

How much sperm can the testicles store? Does sperm ever stop producing in the testicles? If so, when?

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: You are correct that the testes manufacture sperm.  When they are mature, they are stored in the follicle adjacent to each testicle.  Semen is produced in several different organs, notably the prostate gland and the seminal vesicles.  These are located on the inside of the body rather below the urinary bladder.  When the seminal vesicles and prostate have not been emptied in a while, it can make a male think rather often of sex and/or masturbation.

The testes can produce and store hundreds of millions of sperm every day.  They do not stop producing until late in life, usually in the 70s.

I have one follow-up question.

Do the testicles ever get larger from the accumulation of sperm when the male has not had sex or masturbated for a long time? I personally have not noticed this situation.

No.  The testes don't get larger or smaller based on the volume of ejaculation.  Hundreds of millions of sperm cells only take up a tiny amount of space.  They would not even be noticed.  The prostate and seminal vesicles, on the other hand, can swell considerably if they are not relieved by ejaculation.  Each ejaculation is about a teaspoon, and ejaculation does not completely empty them.  Several teaspoons of extra semen can create a noticeable bulge on a tiny organ like a seminal vesicle.

Sex Advice/Oral Sex

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

I am happy to answer all kinds of questions about sexuality.

I have been answering questions about sexuality from both males and females for over 13 years on my web site I have been an expert on for over four years and am currently an expert in eight sexuality categories. I am the top expert in seven of the eight categories.

I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading research universities in the world.

I have helped countless thousands of people online over the past 10 years.