Sex Advice/Oral Sex/The Pill

Question
I want to go on the Pill and have never taken it before. How long does it take for it to be effective?  I have heard it takes a month, but want to know for sure. Also, I am a heavyset girl, so will that affect its effectiveness?  One more question: I take Lisinopril,the blood pressure-controlling drug. Will this counteract The Pill?  I have made an appointment and will be very frustrated if I am not able to take this!

Answer
Hi Holly,

I suggest you check with your doctor or a pharmacist.   However,  Weight should have no effect.  I am not certain about the Lisinopril should also not have an effect.  The wait time will vary depending on the specific of the pill and you should check with either your doctor or a pharmacist to be sure.  It is recommended that you use back up methods for the first month to prevent pregnancy.   There are other birth control methods and you should check with your doctor about the best for you.  Also note that birth control pills do not prevent any sexually transmitted diseases.

Good luck,

Sex Advice/Oral Sex

Tom Blair