Sex Advice/Oral Sex/sexual definiton

Question
Hi Doug,

I've been trying to figure out just what exactly the word 'sexual' means; when someone says something is sexual. I thought I knew, but when I look it up online it's not exactly clear. Everything says "characterized by, relating to, referring to sex..." and I just wanted it in simple terms. When it says 'sex or relating to it' does that mean sex or oral sex or some other type of act? And anything involving the sex organs, is that automatically sexual? The reason I ask is that my guy friends and I joke around by slapping each others (clothed) genitals; it's only for a laugh and nothing to do with pleasure or anything like that. But is that still sexual since the sex organs are involved?

Thanks!

Answer
I use the word sexual to refer to sexual activity.  So oral sex, vaginal sex, masturbation, etc., are sexual activity, and raking leaves is not.  I don't think urinating is sexual activity, so not everything involving the sex organs is sexual.  I would refrain from slapping someone's sex organs; there is no reason to do that.

Sex Advice/Oral Sex

Doug Adams, Ph.D.