Sex Toys/Silicone Free Dildo?

Question
Hi Domina,

I am allergic to silicone.  In lubricants, as well as toys; it gives me an allergic reaction.  This is frustrating because I enjoy anal play with small toys.  

Silicone is everyone in sex toys as it has the most realistic feel.

Are there any soft plastic dildos on the market that are not made with silicone?  I have tried glass and stainless steel toys, but I'm looking for something softer.

Thanks for your help!

Answer
Hi Sean,

Thank you for your question.

Well, that is a bummer.  To be honest, most quality sex toys are made out of 100% medical grade platinum silicone because they are body-friendly and most people don't have any reactions to them.

According to a toxicology expert, there is no such thing as a silicone "allergy".  You could be "sensitive" to silicone, but it is unlikely that it is an allergic reaction.

http://www.tantusinc.com/blogs/sexed/18403076-silicone-allergy-is-that-a-thing-m

Unfortunately, sex toys are not regulated so the material make-up is unknown in most sex toys, unless they are from a reputable company.  That means that while a toy company may say a toy is 100% silicone, it could be a hybrid of rubber or other chemical compounds.  So, you may in fact be having a reaction to rubber, or latex, which could be in the toy, but is not stated on the packaging.  Also, there are a lot of nasty stuff in lubes too that could cause an irritation other than silicone. To be sure that you are indeed allergic to silicone, I would go for allergy testing.

You may also want to try a reputable manufacturer like Tantus to see for sure if it is actually silicone you are having a reaction to.  I'm pretty sure they would give you your $$ back if you did have an reaction to their toys.  Their toys are made from 100% Platinum grade silicone which is used for medical surgeries in hospitals.

If you do have an allergy or reaction to real silicone, then I would worry about rubber toys as well, as they can be toxic.  But, then you may not have any reaction to them, so it is hard to say.

If you are not allergic to latex, then I would advise putting a condom over any soft toy you do use, and only using waterbased lubes (again be careful of the ingredients in lubes).  Hopefully, that would keep you out of contact with whatever material is in the toy.

The only other way to really find out, is to try a toy against your skin (like rubbing it on the inside of your wrist), and then see if you do have a reaction to it.  You should be able to get your $$ back from any good retailer if you do in fact have an allergic reaction to it.

Here is a weird idea, but it may work.  You could try using a cucumber or zucchini in a condom and see if that would work.

Other than those ideas, there really isn't a material that I would fully trust not to give you a reaction, so testing them would be the only way, or using a condom with them.  Most soft toys do have a little bit of silicone in them now, and if they don't they are very cheap and made of "unknown" materials which are likely toxic.

Hope that helps!  

Sex Toys

Domina