Sex Toys/blood flow

Question
Hello,
Is there any herbal treatment to increase penile/pelvic blood flow?
thank you.
scott, 40 years old male.

Answer
Hello Scott,

Thank you for your question.

There are many herbal treatments that claim to increase blood flow to the penis.

L-arginine is in a lot of herbal treatments and is an amino acid that naturally occurs in the body and is used to treat blood clots, heart disease and erectile dysfunction (ED).

L-arginine is converted in the body into a chemical called nitric oxide which causes blood vessels to open wider for improved blood flow.

Horny goat weed is an herb that has been a traditional remedy in China for centuries and is used for low libido, and erectile dysfunction. "A 2008 lab study found that a compound in the herb blocks the effects of an enzyme that restricts blood flow to the penis. Epimedium, the suspected active component of horny goat weed, appears to act as a phosphodiesterase inhibitor, similar to some drugs used for ED. What’s more, the study indicated that horny goat weed could theoretically work better -- and cause fewer side effects -- than current drugs for erectile dysfunction..."-http://www.webmd.com/men/horny-goat-weed-epimedium#1

Other herbs include Korean Ginseng, Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) which is a hormone, Yohimbe and Pinus pinaster (both barks of trees).
http://www.healthline.com/health/erectile-dysfunction/herbs

The only one I haven't heard of before is Pinus pinaster , but the others have been well documented as ED remedies.

Here is a good article on how to create more L'arginine in the body by eating more watermelon, red meat and legumes. http://www.healthline.com/health/erectile-dysfunction/l-citrulline

However, be wary of herbal remedies as well because they are not regulated, so dosages can vary, and even if something is "natural" you can still get bad side effects from it. You would be best consulting a naturopath or a pharmacist, who would be able to tell you more about certain products and dosages.

Other ways to help treat ED is to workout lots, not drink, smoke or use recreational drugs, and to eat healthy. Working out naturally gets the blood pumping to all areas of the body and increases testosterone production.

And, sometimes ED is just in the mind. If you can get erections when you wake up or masturbate, then ED could be caused by how you feel, or by putting too much pressure on yourself to perform.  In that case, a good sex counselor can help alleviate those feelings.

Hope that helps!

Sex Toys

Domina