Shareware/Freeware/burning dvd-rs

Question
QUESTION: Russel,

I was attempting to burn a dvd-r with the SonicRecordNow software on my computer. It mentions that if you select exact copy that it should be able to copy dvd-r but I get a message that says your recording device does not support writing to DVD media. I also have this program called CDBurnerXP and it also says it has capability of burning a DVD-R. It starts to cache the data on the DVD-R to be copied but it's get to a point where it says that the media isn't large enough to hold the data. The DVD-Rs are the same size 16x 4.7GB. I know the information on the dvd-r to be copied is compressed. There are 12 47 minute episodes on the dvd. I don't know how they can fit that many on that size of a dvd-r but it is. I don't know how that affects just making an exact copy of it. I don't seem to be able to completely cache the data on it. I tried to download the Alcohol 120 but it didn't complete download for some reason. I thought maybe that trying a different software might work, one that just copies from one to the other without loading into memory or caching. I've got a slow Internet connection so download anything big is a hard. The Alcohol was only 648KB. Do I have any other simple options or is there something I'm overlooking? Thanks for your time.

ANSWER: Have you ever tried DVDFab. You can rip any DVD to ether hard drive or burn to blank DVD-R. You are using a DVD Burner, right. Let me know if the DVDFab program works.

QUESTION: Your right, it's not a DVD burner. I didn't know there was a difference. I just thought digital information was burned the same for both. What do you think of the type of dvd burner drives that you hook up through the USB port? It looks like I can get one of those for under $25 and I don't have to worry about a complicted installation inside the computer. Do you think that is the way to go and then I can burn the DVD+R blank DVDs.

Answer
I recommend getting a DVD burner that also has a SATA connection. This is faster then USB. They are fairly cheap. You can also invest in a portable hard drive. They have 2-3 tarabyte hard drives, so it takes a while to fill it up, so you don't have 1000 DVDs laying around.  

Shareware/Freeware

Russell Smiley