Shareware/Freeware/.doc files

I have Adobe Reader 10.1.6. Recently, my cousin wanted to read part of a book I wrote, and I tried to send him Chapter 1. The chapter is in both .wps and .doc form on my computer, but he can't open .wps. I converted the file to .doc using a few years back, but I can no longer open it. (I can still open the .wps version.)

When I try to open the .doc file, my computer states that it may not be a supported file type or it could be damaged. Then, an Adobe Reader page comes up. On the left, it reads, Open a Recent File, and on the right, Adobe Online Services. It appears that the page mostly has to do with PDF files. My version of Adobe Reader is current. I have Windows Vista.

How can I open these .doc files for myself (I used to be able to), and how can I send them to my cousin? Thanks.

Hi John.  Sorry for slow response but i was on vacation.
At some point you may have created PDF files from the Microsoft works files(.wps files) and that's why you can still open them and your cousin does not have either MS Works nor Adobe Reader.  Now I am not familiar with but it sounds like you may have to re-convert them so he is able to open them.  This can be done by downloading the Microsoft Works Converter or find another converter on and typing in the search words "convert wps to doc" without the quotation marks.  Then on the left click on the "free" programs link.  If your cousin has Microsoft Word then he should be able to open the .wps files by following these steps.      
Start Word.
In Word 2000, Word 2002 or Word 2003, click the File menu, and then click Open. In Word 2007 or Word 2010, click Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.
In the Open dialog box, follow these steps:
Change the Look in box to the location of your Works document.
In the Files of type box, click All Files (*.*).
Select the Works document (.wps) that you want to open, and then click Open.
If the document opens correctly, click File, click Save As, and then change the file type to a Microsoft Word document (.doc).
Save the document and you have successfully converted the file to a Word document.

I hope this helped.

Steve Parker.

Steve Parker

I have experimented and experience with many different types of software programs. I can help you with the downloading, installation, or working with them.

I have been computing since the commodore 64 days. I have used all windows operating systems including Macintosh. I have a diploma from CDI College in Programming Analysis and Internet development. I have experience with programs such as antivirus, audio, CD burning, chat, computer security, directory, database, DVD, email, file sharing, FTP client and server, media players, memory appz, movie converters, MP3, photo editing, video editing, web page creation and server.

I have a diploma from CDI College in Programming Analysis and Internet development.