Shareware/Freeware/Freeware question

I have ordered a new PC to replace a useless, old Mac. The problem is that I don't know what current freeware I need to download to protect my new computer. I know I need some sort of freeware antivirus(avg? I think). I also need a good defragmenter, a good freeware utility to watch DVDs(vlc I think). I would most appreciate it if you could provide me with a list of the various bits of freeware that I will need in order to protect my PC and generally enhance my PC experience. Thanks a lot! Geoff

Hi Geoffrey. Thanks for the question.  You are in fact right with some programs you have named.  VLC Media player is excellent for watching media files and I have been using it for a long time now.  I have also used and recommend AVG as a free anti-virus program.  As far a a defragmenter goes, I use Diskeeper however I use version 10 when they did not charge for it.  There is now 2 versions on that have a free trial for 30 days and then one is $30 and the other being $65 after the trials.  Just go to the link I just mentioned and in the search box type in Diskeeper or type in Defragmenter and select "free" from the left side to see those programs you do not have to pay for.  
I hope this helps.

Steve Parker
Software/Freeware Expert

Steve Parker

I have experimented and experience with many different types of software programs. I can help you with the downloading, installation, or working with them.

I have been computing since the commodore 64 days. I have used all windows operating systems including Macintosh. I have a diploma from CDI College in Programming Analysis and Internet development. I have experience with programs such as antivirus, audio, CD burning, chat, computer security, directory, database, DVD, email, file sharing, FTP client and server, media players, memory appz, movie converters, MP3, photo editing, video editing, web page creation and server.

I have a diploma from CDI College in Programming Analysis and Internet development.