Sheep/Shepherding/hair loss in hair sheep

Pat wrote at 2014-02-24 15:22:45
Hi,  I think you are the couple who called last evening from the 530 area code.  I think the person who answered you is right on.  I also know that these sheep do not like stress and react accordingly in various ways.

I do not agree with shaving them down, however as this, at least in my climate, would make them susceptible to sun burn.  In the Spring if one or two have trouble shedding the coat we pull it off for them.  The birds (wild) that we feed to keep them around use the wool to "feather" their nests.  I think if you dose all of your sheep with Sevin powder in a sock it will get rid of mites.  It has also been my experience that you never want to introduce a new sheep from outside your own pens to your herd.  I always quarantine and treat a new sheep.  I learned this the hard way.  I introduced a sheep with bot fly to my extremely healthy herd and now I have to watch for bot fly outbreaks.  Not good.

Kari Wempe

I can answer most questions about raising, breeding, feeding, showing,typical illnesses, pregnancy, birthing, bottle feeding,showing and sheering sheep. I have raised sheep for show and production for 20 years. The breeds of sheep I am most familier with are Crossbred, Suffolk, Hampshire- basically black face sheep. I deal with the classification of meat sheep over bred for wool sheep.

I have raised a flock of sheep for 20 years on our farm. Very involved in 4H, FFA aspects and their rules, jackpot shows, state, regional, county and local shows.

Experience is my best creditial however, I have a college education and have taught many classes ( in other catagories), so I am familiar in the ways of teaching others.

Many breed awards- champion and grand champion awards in Kansas for the past 20 years, showmanship awards at local and state level in Kansas.