Sheep/Shepherding/Sheep feeding & Vaccintaion

Question
QUESTION: i had few questions, what is the best feed to buy for sheep or what should i feed them along with what pasture should i do for them, and what is the best hay for them? and what should i feed them in the winter? and about vaccinations if you can just tell me quick about what are the shots that i should do and schedule for the shots and what DEwormer should i do? thank you so much GOD Bless

ANSWER: Hello,
Feed is important for good growth and if you have a breeding program, the best way to insure healthy lambs.
I would suggest that you go to a local Farm store or a feed store to have them make you some good feed. Corn, soy, mineral ( absolutely NO copper),alfalfa pellet, at least 14 % protein is a good start.  If you purchase pre packaged, go with your Purina brand or something similar.
We feed approximately 1/2 pound twice a day per head.

Fresh water is a MUST.

Hay: good clean brome hay is the most easily digestible. One flake per head twice a day. If you have lambs on ewes, then switch to a partial feeding of alfalfa.  Absolutely  no alfalfa when they are pregnant.

Vaccinations: dewormer is important to give twice a year. OET ( overeating tetanus) shot should be given once a year. NOW is a good time. If you have purchased new adult sheep and brought them on to your place, I would also give each head a 10 CC sub-q shot of penicillin.

Good luck!
Kari

QUESTION: can they eat sudan hay or hay grazer or coastal hay

Answer
You can feed hybrid Sudan "haygrazer".     Being a sorghum, it is quite sweet so watch the quantity you feed the sheep.

Prussic acid is a gas and will dissipate within a day or so of the hay being cut and dried, usually prior to baling.  The real issue with Sudan hay (or Johnson Grass or any other "cane" type hay for that matter) is its tendency to uptake excessive amounts of nitrogen when it is stressed during its growth period.  That is something that doesn't dissipate, so yes, if you are unfamiliar with the person who is baling the hay, you should have it tested.  If it comes back okay, then you have an outstanding product to feed your sheep and when grown, cut and baled properly, it is right up there with alfalfa as far as nutritional value and digestibility go.  

Keep in mind that the later it's cut, the bigger the stems and the more wastage you'll get.  

Sheep/Shepherding

Kari Wempe