Sheep/Shepherding/copper

Question
i was wondering if dorper sheep can take Copasure its a copper capsule. without them getting hurt

Answer
Stmmfarm,

While Copasure advertises that it is OK to give to sheep, in my experience, I find it a bit dangerous. Goats- not a problem. But sheep. YIPES.   Before giving them this capsule, I would make sure I have a vet check their copper levels to see if the medicine would be effect and warranted.  Sheep, unlike goats, can be poisoned by copper.  While some copper (and I mean  little) is fine in their diet, too much can kill them.

For doper sheep, using this as a wormer, studies have indicated that a smaller dose does as well as a larger dose when dealing with parasite.  Recommendations say 0.5 g or 1 g COWP every 6 weeks (May-October).

Good luck to you!!

Kari

Sheep/Shepherding

Kari Wempe