Sheep/Shepherding/Suddenly Stopped Eating

Question
I fed my new 8 month old sheep (2 of them) last night and they were keen to eat, the bolder one ate out of my hand even.  This morning that same one, who is always first to the feed bucket, stood back and did not eat.  I refilled their water thinking she may just be thirsty.  She drank for quite a while and kept chewing but stayed back from the food bucket.  I found 2 suspicious things looking around...first part of a plastic bag that had apparently been buried in their shelter - it wasn't on the ground before so I wondered if she may have pulled it up and chewed on it.  Also, I found that they had pulled in a small branch from a tree outside the fence which has thorns (like a mesquite# so I wondered if she could have injured her mouth.  Would either of these be a possibility or just coincidence.  I am new to sheep #we usually only have cows) and quite concerned.

Answer
Hi Renee,
Sorry about your woes with your new lambs. I am not too concerned about the thorny tree. Sheep are NOT goats, and a more picky palate.  I am bit concerned about the plastic bag. Watch for that lamb to poop it out.  The lamb may have a belly ache. As long as the lamb is drinking, peeing and pooping, you are in good shape.

Be careful how much you are feeding and making sure that have clean water and shelter available at all times.

If they are new to your farm, they need some acclimation time as well. Keep an eye on them, but I think they will be fine, even if their appetite is not hardy.  They can go off feed for the weirdest things, weather, new environment, bored with the food choice..

You will have great fun with the lambs. Are you showing them for 4H or FFA?  

Let me know as things progress!
Thanks,

Kari

Sheep/Shepherding

Kari Wempe