Sheep/Shepherding/bottle jaw

QUESTION: i have a nursing ewe that has bottle jaw and anemic really bad, what should i do, how to treat and what dewormers should i give the rest of the ewes and how often so this problem doesn't happen. thank you God Bless

ANSWER: Hello!
We have had a few lambs with bottle jaw, and it is something you need to see if your breeding program has anything to do with it or if it was just a fluke.  Feeding can be challenging.

As far as a dewormer, our best success was with Valbazen suspension liquid, twice a year.  2ccs will do the trick in the mouth. We use a syringe base ( obviously without the needle.)

I am concerned that your bottle jaw baby is anemic.  Please check the interior mouth to be sure your lamb is not cleft as well.

I would bolster the lamb with a B complex shot ( better appetite), you did not say whether the lamb had scours but if so, give it a couple of squirts of scour-halt ( its really for pigs, but it does a great job).  perhaps some sweet feed that has alfalfa pellets and molasses will help with weight gain.

Keep up the good work!!

QUESTION: sorry i wasnt clear about the nursing ewe, i was trying to say its ewe that has 2 lambs nursing from her its an adult ewe. sorry about that. do i need to do anything diff tho

Sorry for the confusion.  But I would do everything the same, If she is producing enough milk for the twins,  I would definitely keep her well fed, especially a flake or two a day of alfalfa additionally.  That will help her increase her milk production.  If she is faltering with keeping up nursing, I would interject one to two bottle feedings a day to help her catch up.

Good luck.

Kari Wempe

I can answer most questions about raising, breeding, feeding, showing,typical illnesses, pregnancy, birthing, bottle feeding,showing and sheering sheep. I have raised sheep for show and production for 20 years. The breeds of sheep I am most familier with are Crossbred, Suffolk, Hampshire- basically black face sheep. I deal with the classification of meat sheep over bred for wool sheep.

I have raised a flock of sheep for 20 years on our farm. Very involved in 4H, FFA aspects and their rules, jackpot shows, state, regional, county and local shows.

Experience is my best creditial however, I have a college education and have taught many classes ( in other catagories), so I am familiar in the ways of teaching others.

Many breed awards- champion and grand champion awards in Kansas for the past 20 years, showmanship awards at local and state level in Kansas.