QUESTION: i was wondering if its ok to feed dorper sheep and ram coastal hay.

Coastal hay is fed to horses and cattle and is better than the combo hay you might get.  It is nutrient dense, so I would have no concerns feeding it to the sheep.  

If it is a drastic change than what you have been feeding, I would start feeding it sparingly. Sheep have a tendency NOT to like change and will show you by getting scours.

For muscle building we prefer a mix of 16%+ protein feed and brome hay and adding alfalfa for enrichment.

I am curious to hear how the coastal hay works out.  Good luck to you!

QUESTION: sorry to bother you again, what is brome hay, does it have another name? and what would be an alternate if i cant find brome hay in our area
GOD Bless you

Brome hay is just another variety of hay available where I am ( US - Midwest). Coastal is generally found in the southern states, like Texas and the like.

I don't believe there is much difference between the two, just availablity.  You are on the right track!!

Blessing and Peace.

Kari Wempe

I can answer most questions about raising, breeding, feeding, showing,typical illnesses, pregnancy, birthing, bottle feeding,showing and sheering sheep. I have raised sheep for show and production for 20 years. The breeds of sheep I am most familier with are Crossbred, Suffolk, Hampshire- basically black face sheep. I deal with the classification of meat sheep over bred for wool sheep.

I have raised a flock of sheep for 20 years on our farm. Very involved in 4H, FFA aspects and their rules, jackpot shows, state, regional, county and local shows.

Experience is my best creditial however, I have a college education and have taught many classes ( in other catagories), so I am familiar in the ways of teaching others.

Many breed awards- champion and grand champion awards in Kansas for the past 20 years, showmanship awards at local and state level in Kansas.