Sheep/Shepherding/sheep

Question
QUESTION: i was wondering if its ok to feed dorper sheep and ram coastal hay.

ANSWER: STMMFarm,

Coastal hay is fed to horses and cattle and is better than the combo hay you might get.  It is nutrient dense, so I would have no concerns feeding it to the sheep.  

If it is a drastic change than what you have been feeding, I would start feeding it sparingly. Sheep have a tendency NOT to like change and will show you by getting scours.

For muscle building we prefer a mix of 16%+ protein feed and brome hay and adding alfalfa for enrichment.

I am curious to hear how the coastal hay works out.  Good luck to you!

Kari

QUESTION: sorry to bother you again, what is brome hay, does it have another name? and what would be an alternate if i cant find brome hay in our area
GOD Bless you

Answer
Hello!

Brome hay is just another variety of hay available where I am ( US - Midwest). Coastal is generally found in the southern states, like Texas and the like.

I don't believe there is much difference between the two, just availablity.  You are on the right track!!

Blessing and Peace.

Kari  

Sheep/Shepherding

Kari Wempe