Sheep/Shepherding/nasal polyps

Question
I recently sold a 2 years old ewe to a man who has bought from me previously.  This time he has had an issue with her breathing shortly after he took her home.  None of my sheep were sick nor are they yet.  He has had the vet out that suggests she has nasal polyps and has treated her with various antibiotics and steroids.  I told him I would gladly exchange her for another ewe but I'm not sure how to treat this one when it comes back.  I have had sheep for over 15 years and have never came across this problem.  What do you suggest or is there not treatment for this available. Will it go away on its own?  Thanks Cindy

Answer
Cindy,
That is certainly an unusual problem and very rare in sheep.  If a ewe/ram/wether were to get a polyp in the nasal space, it would occur when they are between 2-4 years of age.

Because this is such a rare event, I would not worry too much about others in your flock.  If the ewe is returned keep an eye on her for sneezing, head shaking and open mouth breathing.  At this time, it would be best to have surgical intervention with removing the tumor.  While steroids can reduce the swelling, medication will not eliminate the problem.

I wish there was something more you could do, but right now there isn't.  Without a pathology report, we cannot say if this is cancerous or just a polyp from a minor injury from  when the ewe was young.

Keep your head up. It sounds like you are making the right and proper decisions.
Let me know if there is anything else we can help with.

Peace and plenty,

Kari  

Sheep/Shepherding

Kari Wempe