Sheep/Shepherding/Pet Lamb with Bloated Tummy

Question
Hi I have 2 pet lambs 1 a Suffolk, 1 texal I have had them from birth, bottle fed them and they have been in the pasture for about 5 months, I give them lamb nuts once a day just a handful each, but the stomach on the smallest lamb is extremely bloated, she doesn't seem to be in pain and is still eat well,

any ideas to solve the problem

thanks a lot
Jackie

Answer
Hi Jackie,
Its interesting that one lamb has a bloated tummy, while the other does not. It could be a difference in breed, but more than likely, the little one got into some different grasses than the other did.
Please be sure that the little one is passing urine and poop. Although the lamb may act fine now, it could change.  
Be sure that both have a good quantity of fresh water, as well.

Not being able to see of feel the tummy, I am thinking that gas is a real issue for this little one. You can make a mixture of 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of mineral oil and a couple of tablespoons of baking soda.  mix well and give as much as the lamb will tolerate orally. If you have an oral syringe that will help but just make sure it does not choke.  Then you will need to walk that lamb and move that rumen around to get that gas moving.

If the tummy is hard and has been for a while, its best to pay for a farm call with your local vet.  Something else may be going on.  Massage the tummy to help get things started. If you feel like the lamb has not pooped in a while, a warm wet cloth rubbed around the lamb's annus can stimulate "production" as well.
I would also pull both from the grass and feed dry hay until things settle down.

Good luck !  Kari

Sheep/Shepherding

Kari Wempe