Sheep/Shepherding/None

Question

I have an area which is 30' into 60' feet. In this area, I plan to keep some some sheep just to have a daily supply of fresh milk. In my area, good milk is pretty expensive so I've decided to move on a different direction.

I know that my area is pretty small but in this area, how many sheep can I keep to ensure a healthy supply of milk? After all, a sheep doesn't produce milk all year.

Btw, I'm also concerned about soil erosion so is a sheep a threat to my soil concerning the hooves?

Thanks

Answer
Jem,
I would not put more than 3 ewes in that size of an area.  While hooves are somewhat a concern, overgrazing is more to the point when talking about erosion.  Sheep have a tendance to eat a plant to the dirt, one must be mindful of that.

Seriously, if you want real good milkers, I would consider goats. they are smaller, are less illness prone, as sheep are, and can produce milk like no other!!  You could put 5 to 6 goats on that size of ground as well!!

Good luck
Kari

Sheep/Shepherding

Kari Wempe