I have an area which is 30' into 60' feet. In this area, I plan to keep some some sheep just to have a daily supply of fresh milk. In my area, good milk is pretty expensive so I've decided to move on a different direction.

I know that my area is pretty small but in this area, how many sheep can I keep to ensure a healthy supply of milk? After all, a sheep doesn't produce milk all year.

Btw, I'm also concerned about soil erosion so is a sheep a threat to my soil concerning the hooves?

I would not put more than 3 ewes in that size of an area.  While hooves are somewhat a concern, overgrazing is more to the point when talking about erosion.  Sheep have a tendance to eat a plant to the dirt, one must be mindful of that.

Seriously, if you want real good milkers, I would consider goats. they are smaller, are less illness prone, as sheep are, and can produce milk like no other!!  You could put 5 to 6 goats on that size of ground as well!!

Good luck

Kari Wempe

I can answer most questions about raising, breeding, feeding, showing,typical illnesses, pregnancy, birthing, bottle feeding,showing and sheering sheep. I have raised sheep for show and production for 20 years. The breeds of sheep I am most familier with are Crossbred, Suffolk, Hampshire- basically black face sheep. I deal with the classification of meat sheep over bred for wool sheep.

I have raised a flock of sheep for 20 years on our farm. Very involved in 4H, FFA aspects and their rules, jackpot shows, state, regional, county and local shows.

Experience is my best creditial however, I have a college education and have taught many classes ( in other catagories), so I am familiar in the ways of teaching others.

Many breed awards- champion and grand champion awards in Kansas for the past 20 years, showmanship awards at local and state level in Kansas.