Sheep/Shepherding/Identify Sheeps hide?

Close up of length
Close up of length  
Pic 1
Pic 1  
QUESTION: Hi, I've attached some photos of an unidentifiable hide. I'm thinking it may be a Sheeps hide but would love to know more about it if possible. Is it from a sheep or lamb do you think?
Thank you very much in advance!

ANSWER: Hi Julie,

From the length of the wool, it would appear to be the wool of a older sheep, not a young lamb. More than likely angora breed.

Not being able to tell the texture, that is my best guess!!

If you have an extension office (think 4H) near you, they may have more literature to help determine the breed, if that is important to you.

Very nice, by the way!

QUESTION: Thanks! Everytime I type in angora Sheeps wool in Google, only angora goat wool comes up? I can't find much of anything for angora sheep, only angora goat? You did mean sheep, yes? Thanks again!!

Angora sheep
Angora sheep  
Hi Julie,
Yes, I mean Angora sheep!  :) And yes there are angora goats and believe or not, angora rabbits!!

I was working off the photos you sent; length of wool and the texture that I could determine.

I think you have a winner!!

All the best.

Kari Wempe

I can answer most questions about raising, breeding, feeding, showing,typical illnesses, pregnancy, birthing, bottle feeding,showing and sheering sheep. I have raised sheep for show and production for 20 years. The breeds of sheep I am most familier with are Crossbred, Suffolk, Hampshire- basically black face sheep. I deal with the classification of meat sheep over bred for wool sheep.

I have raised a flock of sheep for 20 years on our farm. Very involved in 4H, FFA aspects and their rules, jackpot shows, state, regional, county and local shows.

Experience is my best creditial however, I have a college education and have taught many classes ( in other catagories), so I am familiar in the ways of teaching others.

Many breed awards- champion and grand champion awards in Kansas for the past 20 years, showmanship awards at local and state level in Kansas.