Sheep/Shepherding/Dairy Sheep Breeds

Question
Hi Kari,

I read your answer to which breeds of sheep are considered best for milk production. My question is: I'm looking for a breed for cold weather climate (Sierra Nevada's area) Which would you recommend and where would one start the process of purchasing that particular breed?
Thanks

Answer
Hi Erik,
I am so sorry for the delay in my response to you. I have been out of the area with no service taking care of family crisis. Please accept my apologies.

To your question about the best breed for milk production in cold weather: In theory any breed of sheep can be milked. However, the best breed in the US is the East Friesian.  They are also good lamb producers as well.  Often times, farms that specialize in dairy sheep, also have sheep that are either wool producers or meat producers. For me, I would go with the meat producers.  The list is very short for sheep breeds that are known for their milk.  the other two are Lacaune and Awaissi, but those are harder to find.

You have selected a very small community in which to work. I congratulate you!!

Contact your local state research and ag folks at the county level (they help farmer/ ranchers/ 4H/ FFA folks and would know if someone nearby who is in the industry.  It might be difficult, but it is a good place to start.  There are lots of lamb sales in the spring, so it might be smart to use these winter months to plan the barn for birthing jugs, milking stanchions, grain and hay/alfalfa storage and lots for the lambs to get sunshine and play.

Good luck in your endeavors!  I am pulling for you!

Peace,
Kari  

Sheep/Shepherding

Kari Wempe