Sheep/Shepherding/Hair loss in sheep

We have had St Croix hair sheep for several years. One lamb, born in February, has a "bald" spot behind her ears. She doesn't appear to be itching, but has a significant area where she has completely lost her hair. We have sprayed with a spray for mites,etc. Any other ideas? Should we separate the other 8 sheep from her?

So Sorry for the delay in response, we just conclude our county fair and I have not seen my email in a while.  Please forgive me.

There could be a number of reasons why your lamb has a bald spot behind her ear.  First, if she can be separated, I would do so out of an abundance of caution.
It could be ringworm, but that usually affects the whole body. Treat it accordingly. I am also one to really soap up the affected area as well.
It could be heat or a sensitive spot that the flies like. again. Clean it well and then I would put Vaseline over the area. The flies cannot get to it and it helps the skin heal.

Ivermectin is also a good all around method to solve a myriad of hair loss issues.

It is difficult to give exact diagnosis without seeing it, but I hope I have given enough information to help you move forward with success.

Have a great day!!

Kari Wempe

I can answer most questions about raising, breeding, feeding, showing,typical illnesses, pregnancy, birthing, bottle feeding,showing and sheering sheep. I have raised sheep for show and production for 20 years. The breeds of sheep I am most familier with are Crossbred, Suffolk, Hampshire- basically black face sheep. I deal with the classification of meat sheep over bred for wool sheep.

I have raised a flock of sheep for 20 years on our farm. Very involved in 4H, FFA aspects and their rules, jackpot shows, state, regional, county and local shows.

Experience is my best creditial however, I have a college education and have taught many classes ( in other catagories), so I am familiar in the ways of teaching others.

Many breed awards- champion and grand champion awards in Kansas for the past 20 years, showmanship awards at local and state level in Kansas.