Sheep/Shepherding/Hair loss in sheep

Question
We have had St Croix hair sheep for several years. One lamb, born in February, has a "bald" spot behind her ears. She doesn't appear to be itching, but has a significant area where she has completely lost her hair. We have sprayed with a spray for mites,etc. Any other ideas? Should we separate the other 8 sheep from her?
Thanks.

Answer
BD:
So Sorry for the delay in response, we just conclude our county fair and I have not seen my email in a while.  Please forgive me.

There could be a number of reasons why your lamb has a bald spot behind her ear.  First, if she can be separated, I would do so out of an abundance of caution.
It could be ringworm, but that usually affects the whole body. Treat it accordingly. I am also one to really soap up the affected area as well.
It could be heat or a sensitive spot that the flies like. again. Clean it well and then I would put Vaseline over the area. The flies cannot get to it and it helps the skin heal.

Ivermectin is also a good all around method to solve a myriad of hair loss issues.

It is difficult to give exact diagnosis without seeing it, but I hope I have given enough information to help you move forward with success.

Have a great day!!
Kari

Sheep/Shepherding

Kari Wempe