Shrubs/Shrub Question

I have a new planted Damianita Chrysactinia Mexicana shrub.  (I live in Phoenix AZ).  I'm trying to figure out how to care for it - it was planted today and is rather small.  Normally, it does not require much water- but being it's new, I don't know what to do with it.  The nursery didn't know how to care for it.  I also searched online to no avail.Thanks

Hello Patty

Damianita needs to be planted in poor but well drained soil.  For its first year you should keep the soil damp.  If there are any signs of wilting, give it a good drink and go back to keeping the soil damp when the plant looks happy again.  After the first year the plant should be able to take care of itself for the most part.  Cut out any damaged or unwanted stems early in the year before the weather gets too hot.

I hope this lovely gives you many years of pleasure.

Gill Borchardt

Can offer advice on various shrubs, i.e. where, when and how to plant, pruning, likely ultimate size of plant, preferred conditions etc.

Over 30 years of making gardens in various parts of the United Kingdom.

Diploma in Horticulture with Commendation