Silver and Flatware/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Worth of flatware4/11/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: I have 3 lunt sterling eloquence forks and 1 eloquence salad fork. I was wondering the worth of ...
  A: For sales of patterns like this by an individual, a good way to estimate potential selling price is ...
Reed & Barton Flatware4/7/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: I just acquired a full set of service for 12 Reed Barton Flatware. I cannot find the exact pattern ...
  A: On the page where you input your question, there should be a link, "Attach an Image". This is where ...
j d & s sterling cherub topped salt spoons3/29/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: can not find a reference to these spoons anywhere.Are they 1889?Are they scarce?
  A: These appear to be made of sterling by James Dixon & Sons in Sheffield, England. The "Z" date letter ...
reed and barton francis 1 sterling flatware3/12/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: Is there such thing as Francis 1 silverplate? I have inherited Reed and Barton flatware. Some has ...
  A: I am not aware of a silver plate version of Francis I. Are your butter spreaders of the "flat ...
A1 Viceroy Plate - Made in England2/27/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: Greetings! With reference to above subject,I would kindly ask you about the history of "A1 Viceroy ...
  A: I am not personally familiar with the Viceroy brand but I have found some information that might ...
Need help identifying2/24/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: We are trying to identify the pattern, manufacturer and value of a 66 pc. set of flatware that was ...
  A: I have not been able to match this to a specific manufacturer and pattern. Pictures posted on this ...
Flatware pieces & value2/8/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: My name is Kimberly and I have recently been left a lot of mis- matched silver and/or silver plated ...
  A: The first step is to identify the manufacturer. Let's hope there are words or symbols on the back ...
antique silverware found1/24/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: I really hope you can help me haha, I obtained a variety of different pieces of silver flatware. ...
  A: Normally, I have good luck identifying patterns here: ...
value1/12/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: I was wondering what you could tell me about this pot. My grandma gave it to me decades ago and ...
  A: This could be a teapot but more likely it's a coffee pot. I can't tell how tall it is; that could ...
value1/12/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: I was wondering what you could tell me about these items - there are 6 forks & 6 butter knives, a ...
  A: The mark on the knife blade does resemble the mark used by the Meriden Cutlery Co.. It's possible ...
value1/7/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: I was giving a national silver co A1 empire 8 people serving set it has 95 pc with velvet box and ...
  A: This set is made of silver plate. Unfortunately, most silver plate flatware does not hold its value ...
Francis I value1/7/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: I have my grandmother's Reed & Barton Francis I flatware set. It's a service for 12 with a few ...
  A: "Mirrorstele" probably only applies to knife blades. I am assuming that on the backs of the forks ...
Help identifying Rogers&Bro plate1/7/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: I have a (probably silver played) vintage plate that I would love your help identifying what type of ...
  A: This is a silver plated plate. The "1788" is the model number or pattern number. The plate probably ...
Lord Silver1/1/2017Jim Stringer
  Q: Lord Silver Shakers. I have looked all over the internet. I have found these shakers..but these ones ...
  A: I found very little information about Lord Silver Inc. I do not believe this company is related to ...
sterling flatware set12/5/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I sent a previous email with questions about one of two sterling flatware sets I acquired. I'm ...
  A: Oneida acquired Heirloom through a series of acquisitions. So, you may find the Mansion House ...
sterling flatware sets12/5/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I acquired two sets of sterling flatware. I'm wondering if either set has any value. Also wondering ...
  A: This looks like the "Lady Diana" pattern from Towle. I cannot quite make out the pattern of the ...
Reed & Barton medallion Silver Plated.12/3/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I also have this set of Reed & Barton medallion Silver Plated. could you tell me if I should clean ...
  A: I would clean it with a mild silver polish. This Roman Medallion pattern was introduced in 1868, I ...
h & s medallion12/3/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I have a set of forks and and I was wondering what the age, rarity, and value is. Thank you in ...
  A: This appears to be the Medallion pattern introduced in 1867. Replacements Ltd is currently offering ...
Wm Rogers11/22/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I have a 50 piece set that I am desperately trying to find information on. I have searched and ...
  A: The "IS" on the back represents International Silver Company which took over this Rogers brand in ...
Norwich Silver Company11/21/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I'm usually pretty good at figuring out silverware, but this one has me stumped. Picked up 5 of ...
  A: I'm not going to be much help here. Like you, the only Norwich company I've found is Norwich Cutlery ...
Rogers&son IS victorian rose11/20/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I have a 54 pieace set of rogers&son victorian rose set in wood box. Was wondering the value
  A: The "IS" represents International Silver Company which owns this Rogers brand. They introduced ...
Ricci Argentieri, Art Deco, Sterling flatware11/14/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: We are interested in expanding a set of flatware we own, but I'm uncertain if it is sterling or ...
  A: According to www.replacements.com, the Art Deco pattern could be stainless steel, silver plate or ...
Julius C. Walk & Son Sterling Flatware11/8/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I have recently acquired a 66 pc set of Julius C. Walk and Son Sterling Flatware. It is a 5 pc 12 ...
  A: This set was made by Reed and Barton. "Walk" was the original retailer (in Indianapolis, I believe). ...
Candle holders11/2/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I have a pair of Duchin Creation Sterling Weighted Candle Holders. Ther are 4" tall. They are ...
  A: I do not have the exact dates for Duchin's existence. I understand they were active in the 1950's. ...
Rogers silverplate fork -- Pi Beta Phi10/28/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: The back of the fork is marked "ROGERS," over "WARRANTED 12 DVT," with a tiny capital R inside a ...
  A: I cannot answer your questions specifically. However, I can toss out some thoughts. There were many ...
Silverware10/25/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: Hi I have a question for u I have a set of silverware and they all have the stamp on the back of ...
  A: "Community" was a brand used by Oneida for both silver plate and stainless steel patterns. You might ...
Oneida Ashley Vernon par plate spoon10/22/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I am trying to determine the value of a piece I have for sale. It is, as the subject suggests, an ...
  A: In this pattern, as with most patterns, the bouillon spoon is the shortest of the three you ...
King Edwards silverware set10/11/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: This set was my grandmothers. We estimate she purchased it about 1945. It has a metal tag in the ...
  A: More often than not, the chest is not the same as the brand of the flatware. I need to see a picture ...
Flatware10/10/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I have an entire set of R. B. Rogers silverware, I don't know anything about them, they're not ...
  A: I am not familiar with "R. B. Rogers". Could it be "F. B. Rogers"? Since the word, "Sterling", does ...
BB&B Co Spoons9/28/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: Stringer, I have a set of 12 decorative spoons which have BB&B Co. marking on the back. They are ...
  A: The three little marks above the word, "Sterling", appear to be those of Gorham Co. used before ...
Reed & Barton Flatware9/11/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I have a set of Reed & Barton flatware. The knives say mirrorstele, the other pieces do not say ...
  A: This looks like the Reed & Barton English Crown pattern. It is made of silver plate. "Mirrorstele" ...
silverware value8/30/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: Oneida Silversmiths 1881 Rogers Silverplate Silverware, Lilac Time pattern, circa 1950's, 8 place ...
  A: The "insurance" value, which I define as what it would take if you had to buy a comparable set from ...
Question about a signature8/28/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I know what I have here: a footed repousse bowl by S. Kirk and Son. The maker's mark includes "32F". ...
  A: 32F pretty clearly defines this specific bowl based on what I've found. I cannot account for the ...
Reed & Barton gold set with box - 46 piece value8/10/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I was going through the belongings of a deceased loved one and I found this gorgeous set of ...
  A: Sterling flatware manufactured by Reed & Barton will have the word, "Sterling", on the backs of the ...
Silver plated teapot8/9/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I recently purchased an Acme silver company Toronto teapot from a thrift store and am wondering ...
  A: According to my reference books, Acme Silver Co. was in business in Toronto between 1885 and 1893. ...
Mirrorstele8/8/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I picked up a large set off reed and barton silverware set. There is no indication of sterling on ...
  A: The knife blades are made of stainless steel, a common practice in the industry. Mirrorstele is just ...
damaged silver flatware help?8/8/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: My girlfriend is in tears. She went out of town while her kitchen was being painted - and put her ...
  A: Wow, this is a new one on me! I don't have anything to suggest. Perhaps the folks at ...
Silver8/7/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: How much is the homan 1685 patented December 22, 1903 worth
  A: I estimate this silver plate piece to be worth around $20. Some sellers are asking more for similar ...
Silver8/7/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I want to know how much the new amsterdam 1899 is worth.
  A: "New Amsterdam" was a brand name from Knickerbocker Silver Company of Port Jervis, NY. They were ...
Silver8/7/2016Jim Stringer
  Q: I want to know how much the new amsterdam 470 is worth.

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

Top Expert on this page