Silver and Flatware/1847Rogers Bros "AI" Serving spoon

Collector72 wrote at 2012-10-25 07:53:28
1847 Rogers brand was sold to the Interantional Silver Compamy in 1898.. The company in-fact did start in 1847..

On Silverware, A1 refers to the best quality and real silver. It indicates that the silver plate is a genuine sterling silver rather than silver-plated. The A1 was used to distinguish between manufacturers who made silver-plated and those who made sterling silver flatware. One can be able to check if it is real by feeling the smoothness of the surface, which should not have any chip.

Silver and Flatware

Michelle Lieberman

My expertise is in the area of American sterling silver and coin silver flatware and holloware, including identifying silversmiths and makers, types and patterns of flatware and their usage. I am unable to answer questions pertaining to silverplate or foreign silver.

With over 25 years experience in selling vintage silver, I now devote much of my time educating others in this field.

BA California State University Los Angeles