Silver and Flatware/JR&Co steel flatware

Mark wrote at 2010-03-30 18:06:58
I have a fork just like this.

I believe the JR&CO to be John Russell & Co of the famous Green River Works founded in the 1830's.

They were probably marketed to settlers travelling west, forty-niners, or possibly issued to troops if any such contract existed.

Duane Welle wrote at 2010-08-30 00:16:31
I just uncovered a knife that appears to be identical to the one in the picture with JR&CO in the handle.  It has been buried in a field in North-central Minnesota for years.  The handle is in good shape but rusty, but the blade is severely rusted.  A check of my land records indicates that there was a homestead there in 1892, but there is no evidence of a homestead in later years. Have you learned more about these knives?

drweiler wrote at 2011-09-22 08:07:20
Right now on Ebay is a WW11 British Military fork stamped JR&Co 1945 with the 'broad arrow' acceptance mark.  Cheers, Don

Ken wrote at 2012-09-23 02:21:41
Today I found the handle portion of a JR&Co fork,the area I found it in had a gold rush go through in 1858 and then the CP Rail line was put through the same area in 1882. I found this piece with my metal detector in an area known as "The Cariboo Gold rush trail.

Hope this helps.

Tomt wrote at 2013-07-24 00:48:05
Today in Los Ojos, NM i found a JR&CO. Fork, just like the one pictured. Its missing the middle tine but handle is heavy duty. Love to find out more.

Kathie wrote at 2014-08-07 22:11:19
I, too, just found a JR & co fork in an old box of miscellaneous junk and was curious about it. It is very rusted but completely intact. It's cool.

Chuck J. wrote at 2014-11-14 15:42:18
I found one of thes forks at an old mine on the side of the Sierra Buttes(CA)many years ago.  It was found in a collapsed building (bunkhouse/cookshack)with all the furnishings still inside.  These items were generally dated to the early-mid 1890s. The high altitude kept this fork in good shape.  Probably a low-cost item in its days, since miners had to economize on supplies.  

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer