Silver and Flatware/german flatware,32 piece,marked rostfrei

Donna wrote at 2010-01-21 23:33:12
I have been researching German Marks for a flatware set my mother gave me.  It the flatware is marked with 90 that generally means it is silverplated with 90 grams of fine silver.  From what I have read 90 was the norm in Germany but you also find products stamped 40, 60, 100 etc...  If only the knives have the rostfrei stamp that may mean that the knife blades are stainless and the handles are silverplate.  This is pretty common. Soligen, Germany is known for its rostfrei knives. To get an idea of the value you will need to consider the manufacturer, age and condition of the set.

Sieglinda wrote at 2011-02-01 02:46:38
Rostfrei does mean rust free but pertains to the knife blade.  The set may still be sterling silver plated flatware. Is there a number on the reverse of the fork handle, perhaps a .9 and a name?  That would be there silver percentage and the pattern name.

alan wrote at 2012-01-10 13:36:41
I have the knives that say Rostfrel on it in which the metal is clearly statinless steel the the handle is a separate piece that is stamped ALP. So what is that mean?

Kent wrote at 2012-07-25 19:02:38
The number "90" denotes that every 12 of the items were plated with 90 grams of pure silver.

In other words, 12 of the items were placed in a vat of acid and 90 grams of pure (.999) silver was added. Each item thus contains 7.5 grams of pure silver.

This was a standard first adopted by the Germans and later by the French.  

Silverb wrote at 2013-02-15 20:46:30
The mark "90" in a circle is a silverplate mark.  Most likely only the blades are marked "rostfrie"?  

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland