Silver and Flatware/Silver Spoon

We found a silver spoon with A.J.Marshall Special. It's more like a serving spoon. It doesn't have any decorations on it. We have looked on several sites but haven't found any Marshall. We are hoping you may have some infomation. Thank you.

I received this from a "Janice" on 1/31/2013:

"My family owned the AJ Marshall Company, which sold restaurant equipment in Detroit, Michigan for many years.  Both my parents worked there, as did most other members of the family at the time.  It was started by my great-great-uncle Anthony J. Marshall with his nephews back in the 1800's."

Hi, Wendy.

I have no references that mention A. J. Marshall. Perhaps this was a retailer. It was common at one time for retailers to place their names on pieces made by other companies. Since it does not have the word, "Sterling", on it, I assume it is made of silver plate or stainless steel. If I am correct, it probably does not have much value.

Best wishes,

-- My blog:     
-- Ads from businesses near you who BUY SILVER:      
-- A really good polish (Merit Silver Polish):
-- Sterling vs. silver plate:
-- Locating your silver pattern:
-- Marks found on bottom/back of silver pieces:
-- Appraising your sterling flatware:
-- Things to consider when selling your sterling:
-- Selling silver for scrap:
-- Calculating scrap value of sterling flatware:
-- Buying sterling silver flatware on eBay:
-- Locating sales on eBay:
-- The “Rogers” silver companies:
-- Value of silver plate flatware:  
-- Value of sterling pieces:
-- What to do with plated silver:
-- Selling used silver plate flatware:
-- Care of silver:  

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland