Silver and Flatware/Oneida Coronation Silver Plate Flatware

Jim:  I am looking to buy this pattern by Oneida off the internet.  I initially bought a few pieces to get a hands on opinion and really like it.  My questions are:

1)  What is the difference in the quality of pieces stamped community vs. community plate vs.  community seconds?

2)  At least 4 different sizes for knives and 3 sizes for dinner and salad forks are listed.  What are the definitive measurements for what appears to be 3 or 4 different size settings?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi, Trish.

I don't have any experience with this pattern. My guess is that there is no real difference between "Community" and "Community Plate". "Community Seconds" sounds like one or more defects are present.

As far as length is concerned, I'd just select a length that suits you and stick with it as you buy. Also be consistent with knife blade shape.

Historically, many manufacturers have classified forks 7 1/2 inches or longer as "dinner forks" and 7 inches as "luncheon forks". Lengths in between are often compromises to suit both needs. Dinner knives are often 9 1/2 inches or longer while luncheon knives are often 8 7/8 inches. Compromise knives are often 9 1/8 inches.

Most salad/dessert forks are around 6 3/8 inches long.

If you have not been doing so already, check eBay for prices. Buy only from sellers who allow returns in case you get a dud piece.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland