Silver and Flatware/Gorham Sterling Measuring Spoons ???

Hello Jim,

My mom has this spoon that was a gift to her; we don't know anything about it and she wanted to find out the value of it (if any). I've been doing a little research online for her, but have not found anything similar to it. It seems like a very unique "spoon", folds into itself but has two sides. Maybe a measuring spoon?  With your help of other links I was able to figure out that it is a GORHAM Sterling Silver, but cant make out the rest of the marks. Below you can find direct links to our photobucket pictures of it.  You help is GREATLY appreciated!

Hi, Cynthia.

I believe this is a medicine or dose spoon. Here is one that sold on eBay for $39.50: . Here's one that sold for $69.99:

Here's another where the retailer is asking $145.00: . Here's one where the asking price is $250.00. The "J.E. Caldwell" on this particular piece is the original retailer.

I'd bet the value is closer to $70.00 than $250.00!

"514" is the model number. I can't see what's inside the three shields but I'll but you'll find a lion, an anchor and the letter "G".

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland