Silver and Flatware/Lead used in old silverware

Hi there. I was given a set of old silverware, which I've learned is Roger's Bros made by International Silver. I know it's silver-plated forks and spoons, and wondering what the silver was actually plating? Much of the silver plate has worn off by now, and I was worried that the silver was covering a metal alloy that used lead as part of the mix, such as pewter? Thanks!

Hi, Jason.

I can't answer you with certainty but I can say that copper and brass (mixture of copper and zinc) are very common. Nickel is often in the mixture also. I won't say lead is never used but I'm guessing it's rare in flatware.

International Silver is still in business. You could check with them if you know the pattern.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland