Silver and Flatware/Silver Hallmarks

Hi Jim!

First and foremost, thank you so much for providing this service; it is greatly appreciated.

About three years ago I started to collect sterline and silverplate items as a sort of pastime, but would not consider myself as any form of expert or serious collector.  I have a few pieces for which I am having trouble finding information and/or values.  If able, please advise on the below:

(1.) Small plate/platter hallmarked: H.S. Co. Silvered G1250 (innitials are in Old English, and I believe represents the Hartford Silver Company, but cannot find any other hallmarks with the phrase "Silvered" and do not know what it means).

(2.) Small plate/platter hallmarked: Pilgrim (in cursvie) 1372.

(3.) Chalice with intricate scrolling work on bottom with hallmark: F.S. Co. and what looks like feathers hanging down 2972 Patent No 72883 (innitials are in Old English and each abbreviation as well as the picture of the feathers is within a separate sield).

Any information regarding the maker, pattern names, and/or approximate values would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again for taking the time, and I am so glad that you are an expert!

Hi, Jeff.

I found a listing for the Hartford Sterling Co. which is confusing on two counts. They were located in Philadelphia, not Hartford, and they made silver plate items as well as sterling items. They used several different marks over the years, one of which included the word, "Silvered".  I don't know exactly what that means but I'm guessing "silver plated".

There are some items listed here by Pilgrim Silver Co.:

I found marks for Federal Silver and Forbes Silver that had letters in individual shields but not with the feathers. So, I'm not sure if either of these is what you are looking for. Companies changed marks over the years so these may be candidates.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland