Silver and Flatware/Sterling topped mug - Philip Syng?

Syng mug
Syng mug  

top of syng mug
top of syng mug  
Hi Jim...

I have an unusual piece ( evidenced by my inability to find similar on the web) it has a makers mark that I can identify as Syng's but the mug, cann, tankard is some form of pottery... it is also dated and monogrammed...

I am interested in its value, but also a bit in why I cannot find others...that are similar, even but different makers.

This has been in family since at least 1957 when we show an appraisal ... an attribution of one of the Syngs, based on Wyler's Old SIlver

Hi, Karen.

I'm not qualified to offer an opinion regarding value. If you live near a large city, consider taking this by a high end auction house or antique dealer - one that would have access to auction data bases that show results of auctions over the years. They might be able to help.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland