Silver and Flatware/70 piece 24 Carat Gold Plated Cutlery Set

Hi Jim,

I have a 70 piece 24 Carat Gold Plated (18/10), made by SOLINGEN/Germany, that was a wedding present and has not been used.
There is still a Guarantee piece attached stating that this item is "Real Solinger Workmanship" and it showed a recommended Retail price of 1,350.- DM (Deutsch-Mark, since I received it in 1988). Of course, the gold-price at that time would have been around     $ 360.00 and I would love to know what it could be worth today.
Thank you for your assistance.

Kind Regards,

Hi, Alfred.

I don't deal much in gold-plated flatware but my limited experience indicates that the set will not have a high value. The gold plating on the surface is so thin that there is not much actual gold involved.

However, I recommend having a dealer look at your set to make sure. An estate silver shop would be my first choice. You could also take it to a shop that buys gold for scrap. I wouldn't sell to them but at least you can get a confirmation one way or the other regarding the amount of gold involved. Check with two or three of them.

Here in the U.S., such sets, even in good condition, sell for about one dollar per piece.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland