Silver and Flatware/Walter Oxley Sheffield pot

Helen wrote at 2015-02-18 07:43:31
Hi Jim,

I just discovered this Dec 2012 question because I googled the very same ID marks from an identical item. My late mother acquired it in the 1940s. She used it as a vase with a heavy, spiky flower frog in the bottom. She loved it, as do I. We keep it highly polished, as she did, but use it as a very glam white wine cooler in warm Sydney, Australia.

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland