Silver and Flatware/King Francis Silver

King Francis
King Francis  

Dear Mr. Stringer,
I have a water pitcher marked King Francis, 1658, Reed & Barton.  It is in excellent condition.  We are downsizing and I need to sell it.  Does it have any significant value?
Thank you ,

Hi, Nansea.

Generally, silver plate pitchers do not have much value. However, this particular pattern seems to have a higher market value. This pitcher sold on eBay for $150 last November:

Replacements Ltd is asking over $500 for this pitcher: . Their prices are always pretty high and when estimating what an individual could get when selling a comparable, I usually estimate 20% to 30% of what Replacements is asking. So, $150 is probably a good estimate.

You can contact the people at Replacements and see what they will offer for your pitcher so you will have a benchmark. But your best bet is probably going to be eBay.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland